Informations

Lansing DE-388 - Histoire


Lansing
(DE-388) : dp. 1 200 ; 1. 30G'; b. 36'7", dr. 8'7" ; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186 ; une. 3 3", ff 40mm, 10 20mm., 9 dcp., 2 dct.; 3 21
tt.; cl. Edsall)

Lansing (DE-388) a été posé le 15 mai 1943 par Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Texas, lancé le 2 août 1943, parrainé par Mme Alberta L. Lansnig, veuve de William H. Lansing; et commandé le 10 novembre 1943, le lieutenant Comdr. S. R.. Sands aux commandes.

Après le shakedown, le Lansing a quitté Norfolk le 13 février 1944 lors de sa première croisière transatlantique escortant le convoi UJGS 33 à destination de Casablanca, le premier de huit voyages vers les ports d'Afrique du Nord protégeant les convois chargés de matériel de guerre vital. Au cours de la deuxième croisière de Lansing, un navire de convoi a. s. Walden a été endommagé par une torpille tirée d'un sous-marin allemand le 12 mai.

Arrivé à Boston le 12 juin 1945 de sa dernière mission transatlantique, le destroyer d'escorte se prépare pour le service dans le Pacifique. Elle a transité le Canal de Panama le 2 août et était en route vers Pearl Harbor quand elle a reçu des nouvelles de la capitulation japonaise. Lansing est revenu à New York le 26 septembre et a désarmé à Green Cove Springs le 25 avril 1946, en rejoignant la Flotte de Réserve de l'Atlantique.

Il est transféré à la Garde côtière en juin 1952. À son retour dans la Marine en 1954, le Lansing est converti en navire d'escorte radar et reclassé DER-388 le 21 octobre 1955. Il est remis en service le 18 décembre 1956, sous le commandement du lieutenant GN DeBuer. .

Lansing a rejoint la barrière du Pacifique le 2 juin 1957 pour des opérations au départ de Pearl Harbor en tant que piquet radar. De 1957 à 1965, il effectua des patrouilles régulières, prêt à alerter rapidement en cas d'attaque ennemie. Lansing a participé aux essais atomiques à Johnston Island à l'été 1958 et à nouveau à l'automne 1962. Elle a participé à des croisières en Extrême-Orient en 1961 et 1963 et s'est engagée dans des opérations de recherche d'un Globemaster de l'Air Force abattu en janvier 1964.

En arrivant à Bremerton, Washington, le 22 février 1965, Lansing y a été désarmé le 21 mai et est entré dans la flotte de réserve du Pacifique.


USS Lansing (DE 388)

Désarmé le 25 avril 1946.
Prêté aux garde-côtes des États-Unis et (re)commandé par eux sous le nom de WDE-488 le 15 juin 1952.
Retourné à l'U.S.N. et désarmé le 29 mars 1954.
Reclassé en DER-388 le 21 octobre 1955.
Remis en service le 18 décembre 1956.
Désarmé le 21 mai 1965.
Frappé le 1er février 1974.
Vendu le 16 août 1974 et démoli à la ferraille.

Commandes répertoriées pour l'USS Lansing (DE 388)

Veuillez noter que nous travaillons toujours sur cette section.

Le commandantDeÀ
1Lcmdr Simon Raymond Sands, Jr., USCG10 novembre 19435 juin 1944
2Lcmdr Richard Foster Réa, USCG5 juin 194425 juin 1945
3Stéphane George Carkeek, Jr., USCG25 juin 194525 avril 1946

Vous pouvez aider à améliorer notre section de commandes
Cliquez ici pour soumettre des événements/commentaires/mises à jour pour ce navire.
Veuillez l'utiliser si vous repérez des erreurs ou si vous souhaitez améliorer cette page de navires.

Liens médias


Lansing DE-388 - Histoire

Horace Jackson, qui a commencé comme soudeur et est devenu plus tard vice-président de la Thompson Pipe and Steel Company, Denver, a déclaré : « Trouver des soudeurs et former des soudeurs pendant la guerre était l'un de nos principaux défis dans la construction de navires. » Parce que la technique était si nouvelle. , les soudeurs expérimentés étaient difficiles à trouver, donc les chantiers navals devaient former les leurs et "dès que nous formions quelques bons soudeurs, les forces armées les saisiraient au bout d'environ six mois et la formation recommencerait avec de nouvelles recrues". le taux de rotation du personnel sur certains chantiers dépassait 200 %.

En soudage à l'arc, un ouvrier doit d'abord créer un courant entre une électrode et les plaques à assembler. C'est ce qu'on appelle « faire un arc ». Il est difficile de maîtriser le soudage et, même avec une formation abondante, de nouveaux problèmes surgissent quotidiennement.

Les fissures étaient un problème permanent. Une fissure ne peut pas sauter à travers un rivet d'une plaque à une autre, mais si une fissure apparaît dans une configuration soudée, elle peut aller n'importe où car le navire est d'un seul tenant. En 1942, les fissures dans les navires marchands soudés et certains navires de guerre semblaient être un problème majeur. Le blâme est allé dans toutes les directions et les inspections et la formation des chantiers navals ont été améliorées. Ce n'est que plus tard que la Marine a réalisé que la principale cause du problème de fissuration était l'acier lui-même, de sorte que les alliages ont été modifiés.

La Marine a exigé une analyse aux rayons X et une inspection microscopique de tous les joints de tuyaux de vapeur soudés pour trouver des fissures, mais il n'y avait pas d'équipement à rayons X dans certaines localités, y compris la région des Grands Lacs. "Dans un ancien exemplaire de Welding Encyclopedia de Ted Jefferson, nous avons trouvé une description d'une solution possible au problème", se souvient Blodgett. "Cela s'appelait le test du merlan. Une soudure d'essai avec une fissure capillaire intentionnelle est devenue la pièce à usiner. Nous avons ensuite appliqué de l'huile pénétrante 3-en-1 sur la soudure. L'ajout de poudre de craie de charpentier mélangée au tétrachlorure de carbone (Pyrène) de notre extincteur a créé une solution volatile qui a rapidement séché. En quelques instants, une fine ligne décolorée est apparue sur la craie, indiquant la fissure en dessous. » La Marine a acheté l'idée.

Par la suite, toutes les inspections des tuyauteries de vapeur haute pression ont suivi la procédure. Pourtant, les avantages du soudage étaient énormes. Parfois, plusieurs grues, chacune capable de soulever dix tonnes, étaient utilisées en tandem pour hisser des superstructures de pont fabriquées, des équipements et des armes sur et dans les ouvertures caverneuses de la coque, pour être soudées ensemble. Au fur et à mesure que les travailleurs apprenaient leur travail, les temps de construction diminuaient. Le premier DE a pris six mois, mais avant longtemps, ils ont été construits en quelques semaines. La concurrence entre les chantiers et les récompenses en espèces a alimenté les augmentations d'efficacité.

Dans une démonstration inhabituelle d'ingéniosité, Defoe Shipbuilding à Bay City, MI, a décidé d'essayer de construire des navires à l'envers, du pont à la quille. Bill Defoe, fils du fondateur, déclare : « Comme il était plus facile et plus rapide de souder vers le bas, nous avons économisé de nombreuses heures de travail et notre fabrication s'est considérablement améliorée. Le processus a pratiquement éliminé 90 % de tous les soudages en hauteur. »

Comme plate-forme pour la construction, un berceau a dû être conçu pour épouser la forme exacte du pont principal du navire. Une fois le pont posé, les cadres et les cloisons qui y étaient fixées apparaissaient à l'envers. La partie inférieure complète du navire, y compris la quille, les planchers et de quatre à six virures (feuilles de support en acier plates) du bordé extérieur, a été déposée en position sur le dessus des cadres et des cloisons. Le placage de coque restant a ajouté une forme et une forme à la coque. Avec le navire à l'envers, toutes les machines qui pendent normalement sous le pont ont été facilement positionnées.

La séquence de montage de l'acier de coque a également permis d'éliminer la plupart des échafaudages conventionnels de la construction navale. Une fois la section de coque terminée, deux roues en acier semi-circulaires ont été fixées autour de la coque et le berceau a été abandonné, laissant la coque entièrement supportée par elles. Des câbles lancés autour du navire dans des directions opposées ont permis à une grue à vapeur, tirant sur un câble et retenant l'autre, de faire rouler la coque en position verticale. L'ensemble du processus n'a pas pris plus de deux minutes et demie. Une fois la coque redressée, les grues laissaient alors tomber des machines supplémentaires et installaient les roufs préfabriqués.

Cependant, la plupart des chantiers ont construit leurs DE de manière conventionnelle, de la quille vers le haut. Une visite dans n'importe quel chantier présenterait une image similaire : enchevêtrements de câbles électriques, conduites d'air comprimé, tuyaux d'oxygène et d'acétylène, cordes, gréement, énormes grues et échafaudages. Au milieu d'une cacophonie de cliquetis métalliques, de marteaux piqueurs et de gémissements de grues géantes, les ouvriers étaient à leur travail 24 heures sur 24, 7 jours sur 7, illuminés par les pluies d'étincelles bleues qui grouillaient comme des lucioles autour des soudeurs.

Comparé à la résolution de tous les problèmes de soudage, le lancement des navires et leur livraison aux ports navals étaient presque insignifiants. Habituellement, les navires sont lancés directement dans le port, mais les DE construits dans les chantiers intérieurs de la région des Grands Lacs ont été lancés dans les lacs, puis remorqués jusqu'à Chicago. Parfois, il y avait si peu de place dans les chantiers qu'ils devaient être lancés latéralement. Dans un cas, un navire a été lancé sans que ses moteurs soient installés. Haut lourd, elle a failli se renverser et l'erreur ne s'est jamais reproduite. À Chicago, les mâts et les hélices des navires étaient arrimés sur le pont et ils étaient équipés de bateaux pontons spéciaux pour réduire leur tirant d'eau. Ils ont ensuite été transportés à travers des canaux et des rivières jusqu'au Mississippi et jusqu'au golfe du Mexique. Étonnamment, tout a fonctionné.

Les chantiers navals de la côte Est ont également ajouté leur force au programme DE. Vers la fin de la production, le chantier de Bethlehem Steel à Hingham, dans le Massachusetts, a pu livrer un DE en seulement 25 jours. En revanche, le temps de construction d'un destroyer de flotte avant la guerre était de huit à dix mois. La concurrence entre les chantiers navals s'est intensifiée au fur et à mesure que de nouveaux records étaient établis et battus. Les titres de gloire de Hingham incluent le lancement d'un DE en quatre jours et demi, "un record du monde pour la construction d'un grand navire de guerre", la livraison de dix DE en un mois et la pose de 16 quilles en une journée. La sécurité globale et l'efficacité de ces navires garantissaient l'avenir du soudage. Le grand nombre de navires identiques a permis des économies d'échelle dans la fourniture de gabarits d'assemblage, l'adoption de procédures reproductibles et la planification de l'approvisionnement en matériel.

Voir les photos de la construction DE

Les destroyers d'escorte ont finalement plongé, ont fait une embardée et ont roulé dans la bataille de l'Atlantique à l'automne 1943, chacun d'environ 300 pieds de long et 35 pieds de large, capable d'une vitesse maximale de 20 à 24 nœuds et transportant 216 officiers et hommes à l'étroit, quartiers sans fioritures. Même si les sous-marins avaient alors dépassé le zénith de leur puissance destructrice, ils représentaient toujours une menace importante. Les DE ont rapidement accumulé des records impressionnants en termes de navires alliés protégés et de sous-marins allemands coulés. Ils ont également remporté une grande partie de la gloire lors de la capture du 4 juin 1944 de l'U-505, la première prise d'un navire ennemi par l'US Navy depuis la guerre de 1812.

Le DE a été construit en moins de la moitié du temps d'un destroyer de flotte et à un tiers du coût. Elle faisait partie d'un effort massif au cours duquel le nombre de voies de navigation est passé de 130 à 567 dans près de 80 chantiers navals commerciaux. Les batailles de la Seconde Guerre mondiale ont été gagnées autant sur la ligne de montage que sur la ligne de tir.

À la fin de la bataille de l'Atlantique, les DE sont entrés dans l'histoire du Pacifique en tant que transports, plates-formes de guerre anti-sous-marine, navires de piquetage radar et écrans pour les attaques kamikazes. L'USS ENGLAND (DE-635) a détruit six sous-marins en 12 jours en mai 1944. Les États-Unis ont produit 563 DE entre 1942 et 1945. Parmi eux, 561 ont servi avant la fin de la guerre.

Les navires ont perdu leur utilité peu de temps après la guerre, lorsqu'une nouvelle génération de sous-marins rapides est apparue, capable de les distancer. Leurs rangs ont été progressivement réduits par la vente à des gouvernements étrangers, l'utilisation comme chair à canon dans les tests d'armes ou simplement des voyages à la ferraille, où des morceaux ont été fondus en soupe d'acier pour être utilisés ailleurs.

Aujourd'hui, il n'en reste que deux [aux États-Unis] : SLATER (DE-766), actuellement en cours de restauration minutieuse en tant que musée flottant à Albany, NY, et STEWART
(DE-238), enclavé et se détériorant au parc Seawolf à Galveston, TX. Mais leur héritage et celui des hommes et des femmes qui les ont construits perdure. Les petits navires qui le pouvaient, l'ont fait.

John R. Ward est écrivain et consultant à Albuquerque, NM.

Remarque : les pertes de guerre s'élèvent à 22 et 12 autres gravement endommagées. Les DE ont contribué au naufrage de 64 sous-marins ainsi que de 30 sous-marins japonais.

Article soumis au site Web par Anne McCarthy.

Pour l'histoire d'un navire individuel, visitez ces sites Web :
Bibliothèque d'escorte de destroyers et NavSource Online


Histoire du Grand Lansing

Tout au long de son histoire, la capitale du Michigan a accueilli une population diversifiée d'innovateurs avant-gardistes.

La zone qui est maintenant Lansing a été initialement arpentée en 1825 dans ce qui était alors une forêt dense. Il n'y aurait plus de routes vers cette région pendant des décennies.

Lansing&aposs Origines

Au cours de l'hiver 1835 et au début de 1836, deux frères de New York ont ​​tracé la zone maintenant connue sous le nom de REO Town juste au sud du centre-ville de Lansing et l'ont nommée "Biddle City". année. Quoi qu'il en soit, les frères sont retournés à New York, plus précisément à Lansing, New York, pour vendre des terrains pour la ville qui n'existaient pas. Ils ont dit aux habitants de Lansing, New York, que cette nouvelle "ville" avait une superficie de 65 blocs, contenait une église et aussi une place publique et universitaire. Un groupe de 16 hommes a acheté des parcelles dans la ville inexistante et, en atteignant la zone plus tard dans l'année, a découvert qu'ils avaient été arnaqués. Beaucoup dans le groupe, trop déçus pour rester, ont fini par s'installer dans ce qui est maintenant la métropole de Lansing. Ceux qui sont restés ont rapidement rebaptisé la région "Lansing Township" en l'honneur de leur village natal à New York.

La colonie endormie de moins de 20 personnes resterait en sommeil jusqu'à l'hiver 1847, lorsque la constitution de l'État exigeait que la capitale soit déplacée de Detroit vers un endroit plus centralisé et plus sûr à l'intérieur de l'État. Beaucoup s'inquiétaient de la proximité de Détroit avec le Canada sous contrôle britannique, qui avait capturé Détroit pendant la guerre de 1812. Les États-Unis avaient repris la ville en 1813, mais ces événements ont conduit à un besoin urgent de déplacer le centre du gouvernement loin de territoire britannique hostile. En outre, on s'inquiétait également de la forte influence de Detroit sur la politique du Michigan, étant la plus grande ville de l'État ainsi que la capitale.

Devenir la capitale

Au cours de la session de plusieurs jours visant à déterminer un nouvel emplacement pour la capitale de l'État, de nombreuses villes, dont Ann Arbor, Marshall et Jackson, ont fait pression pour obtenir cette désignation. Incapable de parvenir publiquement à un consensus en raison de querelles politiques constantes, la Chambre des représentants du Michigan a choisi en privé le canton de Lansing par frustration. Lorsqu'elle a été annoncée, de nombreuses personnes présentes ont ouvertement ri qu'une colonie aussi insignifiante était maintenant la capitale du Michigan. Deux mois plus tard, le gouverneur William L. Greenly promulgua la loi de la législature, faisant officiellement du canton de Lansing la capitale de l'État.

Avec l'annonce que le canton de Lansing était devenu la capitale, le petit village s'est rapidement transformé en siège du gouvernement de l'État. La législature a donné à la colonie le nom temporaire de la "ville du Michigan". En avril 1848, la législature a ensuite donné à la colonie le nom de "Lansing". la rivière Grand dans le canton.

« Village/Village inférieur », où se trouve la vieille ville actuelle, était le plus ancien des trois villages. Il abritait la première maison construite à Lansing en 1843 par le pionnier James Seymour et sa famille. La basse-ville a commencé à se développer en 1847 avec l'achèvement du pont couvert de l'avenue Franklin (aujourd'hui l'avenue Grand River) sur la rivière Grand.*

"Upper Village/Town", où se trouve la ville actuelle de REO, était au confluent de la rivière Grand et de la rivière Red Cedar. Il a commencé à prendre son envol en 1847, lorsque le pont de la rue Main a été construit sur la rivière Grand. Ce point central du village était le Benton House, un hôtel de 4 étages qui a ouvert ses portes en 1848. C'était le premier bâtiment en briques de Lansing et a ensuite été rasé en 1900.

"Middle Village/Town", où se trouve maintenant le centre-ville de Lansing, a été le dernier des trois villages à se développer en 1848 avec l'achèvement du pont de l'avenue Michigan sur la rivière Grand et l'achèvement du State Capitol Building temporaire. Le premier Capitol était situé à l'emplacement actuel de la Cooley Law School, sur Capitol Avenue, entre les rues Allegan et Washtenaw. Le bureau de poste a été relocalisé dans le village en 1851. Cette zone allait devenir plus grande que les deux autres villages en amont et en aval de la rivière. Pendant une brève période, les villages combinés ont été appelés "Michigan", mais ont été officiellement nommés Lansing en 1848.

En 1859, la colonie, ayant atteint près de 3 000 et couvrant environ sept milles carrés (18 km²) de superficie, a été constituée en ville. Les limites de la ville d'origine étaient l'avenue Douglas au nord, les rues Wood et Regent à l'est, l'avenue Mount Hope au sud et l'avenue Jenison à l'ouest. Ces limites resteraient inchangées jusqu'en 1916. Lansing a commencé à croître régulièrement au cours des deux décennies suivantes, avec l'achèvement des chemins de fer à travers la ville, une route en planches et l'achèvement de l'actuel State Capitol en 1878.

Patrimoine automobile

La plupart de ce qui est connu aujourd'hui sous le nom de Lansing est le résultat direct de la transformation de la ville en une puissance industrielle, qui a commencé avec la fondation d'Olds Motor Vehicle Company en août 1897. L'entreprise a connu de nombreux changements, y compris un rachat, entre sa fondation et 1905 lorsque le fondateur Ransom E. Olds a lancé sa REO Motor Car Company, qui durera encore 70 ans à Lansing. Olds sera rejoint par la Clarkmobile moins réussie vers 1903. Au cours des décennies suivantes, la ville se verra transformée en un grand centre industriel américain pour la fabrication d'automobiles et de pièces automobiles, entre autres industries. La ville a continué de croître en superficie. En 1956, la ville avait atteint 15 milles carrés (39 km²) et avait doublé de taille au cours de la décennie suivante pour atteindre sa taille actuelle d'environ 33 milles carrés (85 km²).

Aujourd'hui, l'économie de city&aposs est maintenant diversifiée parmi les services gouvernementaux, les soins de santé, la fabrication, les assurances, les banques et l'éducation.


John Biringer, fabricant d'armes

Alors que les pionniers pénétraient dans le territoire du Kansas, il y avait un besoin immédiat d'armes à feu et d'armuriers. Ils avaient besoin d'armes à feu fiables non seulement pour la chasse, mais aussi pour leur protection. Pendant les années de Bleeding Kansas, l'atmosphère dans les rues de Leavenworth était tendue et la violence éclaterait facilement car différents points de vue s'affrontaient sur la question du Kansas en tant qu'État libre.

John Biringer était l'un de ces premiers pionniers qui ont apporté son métier et son artisanat de fabrication d'armes à feu à Leavenworth, un métier qu'il transmettait à ses fils. Il faisait partie des « États libres » qui sont venus à Leavenworth sur des bateaux à vapeur et des wagons en provenance de l'Iowa, de l'Illinois, de l'Indiana et de l'Ohio occidental, selon H. Miles Moore, Early History of Leavenworth City and County.

John Biringer est né en Prusse en 1830 et a immigré aux États-Unis en 1847 après avoir terminé un apprentissage dans la fabrication d'armes, selon le recensement américain. Il est arrivé à Philadelphie, Pennsylvanie, où il est allé travailler pour George Tryon et son fils Edward. C'est ici qu'il apprend à fabriquer le fusil de Pennsylvanie, qui était un fusil long caractérisé par un canon inhabituellement long, selon Henry J. Kauffman, The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle. À cette époque, un apprenti travaillait parfois à crédit et non pour de l'argent. "Quand je suis arrivé dans l'Ouest, j'ai apporté environ 300 armes à feu avec moi et avec celles-ci, j'ai commencé à travailler à Leavenworth", a déclaré Biringer dans une interview au journal Leavenworth Times.

Biringer épouserait Fredricka Messig, née en Allemagne, en 1854, selon la Kansas Historical Society, Cool Things – Gunsmithing Tools. Leurs deux premiers enfants sont nés en Pennsylvanie, George en 1856 et Joséphine en 1858. Il lit dans les journaux du jour les opportunités à saisir en Occident. Un article en particulier parlait de Leavenworth et de la façon dont les soldats de Fort Leavenworth étaient équipés pour se rendre en Utah et réprimer les ennuis dans l'Utah, selon le Leavenworth Times. En moins de quatre ans, ils déménagent à Leavenworth, qui fait toujours partie du territoire du Kansas, où Biringer ouvre sa propre boutique d'armurier. Dans le U.S. City Directory de 1862, il est situé au 109 Shawnee, ce qui correspondrait à 109 lots de la rivière dans l'ancien système de numérotation. Le milieu du bloc du côté sud entre la quatrième et la cinquième rue serait l'emplacement d'aujourd'hui. Il était l'un des quatre armuriers selon le répertoire.

En 1877, John Biringer s'asseyait devant la caméra d'A.C. Nichols et faisait réaliser son ambroytype avec son fils George qui fêtait ses 21 ans.

George Biringer, 21 ans, photo de A.C. Nichols

George avait appris le métier d'armurier dès son plus jeune âge auprès de son père, qui travaillait alors dans le 601 Shawnee. Dans le Leavenworth City Directory de 1874, George est répertorié comme armurier travaillant pour J. Biringer, Gun and Locksmith. Il avait 17 ans.

Ce n'était pas que du travail et pas de jeu car George a grandi, il était l'aîné des 12 ans de la famille Biringer et en tant que tel, il avait plus de libertés.

Une nuit d'été en août 1878, alors qu'ils étaient en ville avec ses amis Louis Fieger, George Opel et Julius Miller, tous salariés comme fabricants de cigares à Simmons et Staiger, ils ont fait leur tournée dans le centre-ville de Leavenworth en chantant la sérénade de la résidence du deuxième étage le long de la chemin à 2h30 du matin. L'un de ces établissements était toujours ouvert et fonctionnait aux petites heures du matin, The Leavenworth Times. Selon le rédacteur en chef, le bureau du Times était assiégé par ces messieurs qui étaient en tournée de sérénade. Les instruments se composaient d'un violon, d'un piccolo, d'une guitare et d'un harmonica, et « les airs mélodieux qu'ils rendaient aidaient à clore les travaux de la semaine aussi agréablement qu'un beau rêve », The Times, 8 août 1878.

Au début des années 1880, Biringer épousa Louise Goenner de Leavenworth. Son père était William Goenner, un fabricant de cigares à Simmons et Staiger, un endroit qui n'était que trop familier à Biringer.

Leur premier enfant, William P. est né en 1883 et leur deuxième, George W., en 1888 et aucun d'eux n'a appris le métier d'armurier.

Le 12 juin 1897, la résidence du colonel Andrew Jackson Smith, gouverneur de la branche ouest du Soldiers Home, a été dynamitée lors d'une tentative d'assassinat sur la vie du gouverneur Smith, selon le Times. La quantité d'explosifs utilisés était grande car il a été rapporté que les habitants de la ville avaient leurs maisons tremblant sous le choc comme si la terre se déplaçait en dessous d'eux. Toute la force de l'explosion a arraché un côté de la maison. Heureusement, personne n'a été tué, mais Mme Smith a subi quelques blessures.

Les explosifs utilisés dans l'explosion provenaient de l'armurerie de John Biringer, selon le Times. Plusieurs nuits avant l'explosion, la poudrière Biringers avait été cambriolée et on pensait que c'était le voleur qui avait causé l'explosion.


Forums NavWeaps

1864 - Le bateau à aubes confédéré à roues latérales de 178 tonnes Benigo, un coureur de blocus, s'est échoué sur la côte de la Caroline du Nord à l'ouest de Lockwood Folly Inlet. Son équipage l'a incendiée et l'a abandonnée. Le vapeur à vis USS Fahkee l'a découvert échoué, partiellement brûlé, et avec 7 pieds (2,1 mètres) d'eau dans sa cale le lendemain. Elle a été détruite par des tirs de Fahkee, du bateau à aubes à roues latérales USS Fort Jackson et des bateaux à vapeur à vis USS Daylight, USS Iron Age et USS Montgomery.

1865 – La goélette britannique Celia, un coureur de blocus transportant une cargaison de térébenthine, est bombardée, puis abordée par une équipe de débarquement de la canonnière USS Nipsic et incendiée à Murrell's Inlet sur la côte de la Caroline du Sud.

1944 - "Hornick, Iowa, 2 janvier (AP) - Neuf membres d'équipage d'une forteresse volante basée à Sioux City, ont été tués lorsque l'avion s'est écrasé et a brûlé dans une ferme près d'ici tard aujourd'hui. Des personnes dans un rayon de plusieurs miles ont déclaré ils ont vu l'avion exploser et s'écraser." Le B-17F-40-VE, 42-6013, du 393d CCTS, piloté par Frank R. Hilford, semble être la cellule impliquée.

1944 - "Sacramento, Californie, 2 janvier (AP) - Treize aviateurs de l'armée ont été tués aujourd'hui lorsqu'un B-17 Flying Fortress, se dirigeant vers Los Angeles depuis McChord Field, Tacoma, Washington, a explosé en vol au-dessus du champ de McClellan et a plongé 3000 pieds au sol en flammes. Des milliers de Sacramentiens, surpris par une formidable explosion, ont regardé vers le ciel et ont vu le bombardier à quatre moteurs paralysé et en flammes émerger du ciel couvert et tomber. Seul un membre de l'équipage de l'avion, composé de 14 personnes, a échappé aux flammes. l'épave, le parachutage à la sécurité avant l'accident. Il était le major James H. Wergen de Kingman Field, en Arizona, la base d'origine du bombardier. L'avion s'est effondré dans les airs lorsqu'il est tombé, éparpillant un bout d'aile, l'un de ses moteurs et d'autres parties sur une vaste zone. Les autorités de McClellan Field ont déclaré que les médecins tentaient d'identifier les morts, mais que les noms seraient retenus en attendant la notification du plus proche parent. " Le B-17G était piloté par Frederick M. Klopfenstein.

1948 - Un P-51D-25-NT Mustang nord-américain, 45-11535 s'écrase à 40 milles au nord de Roswell, Nouveau-Mexique, peu après midi cette date, tuant le pilote. Le major Charles Beck, responsable de l'information à l'aérodrome militaire de Roswell, a déclaré que la base d'attache de l'avion n'avait pas été déterminée.

1964 - Un Douglas C-124C Globemaster II de l'US Air Force, 52-968, du 28e Escadron de transport aérien, en route de la base aérienne de Tachikawa près de Tokyo, Japon, à la base aérienne de Hickam, Honolulu, Hawaï avec neuf à bord et 11 tonnes de fret, disparaît au-dessus de l'océan Pacifique après avoir fait une escale de carburant à Wake Island. Due à Hickam à 05h39. HNE, le Globemaster II est entendu pour la dernière fois à 0159 heures. EST. L'épuisement du carburant aurait été à 1000 heures. EST et l'avion est présumé en mer. Un signal SOS automatique est détecté émanant d'une radio de type avion avec une fréquence porteuse constante de 4728 kHz, émettant un message de détresse à saisie automatique, et une douzaine d'avions de l'armée de l'air, de la marine et des garde-côtes sont envoyés en recherche depuis Hickam et depuis Guam, Midway et l'île Johnston.
Le mauvais temps et la visibilité limitée entravent les efforts de recherche. L'USS Lansing (DE-388) de la marine américaine participe également aux recherches. Les huit membres d'équipage de l'Air Force portés disparus et un homme de la marine américaine escortant un corps vers les États-Unis sont officiellement déclarés morts le 21 janvier. Il s'agissait du premier accident de C-124 depuis mai 1962.

1968 - Le colonel Henry Brown et le lieutenant-colonel Joe B. Jordan sont devenus les premiers pilotes de l'US Air Force à utiliser un module d'évacuation d'urgence General Dynamics F-111A lorsque leur avion, 65-5701, c/n A1-19, de la Air Force Test Center, s'est écrasé près de la base aérienne d'Edwards, en Californie, en raison d'un incendie dans une baie d'armes.

1975 - US Navy Grumman F-14A-70-GR Tomcat, BuNo 158982, 'NK107', de VF-1, le premier des escadrons de F-14 de la Flotte du Pacifique à se former, déployé à bord de l'USS Enterprise (CVN-65), s'écrase dans la mer au large de Cubi Point, aux Philippines, après l'explosion d'un moteur en vol. Les deux membres d'équipage s'éjectent avec succès. Il s'agit de l'une des deux pertes d'escadron lors du déploiement de 1974 à 1975 qui ont signalé les problèmes de confinement des pales de soufflante qui ont affecté les premières versions du turboréacteur TF30.

1976 - L'USMC McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II, BuNo 155506, du VMFA-333, s'écrase à l'approche du NAS Oceana, en Virginie. Les deux membres d'équipage s'éjectent en toute sécurité.

1986 - Un McDonnell Douglas F-15C-28-MC Eagle (s/n 80-0037 c/n 0692/C186) du 57th FIS basé à NAS Keflavik, Islande, s'est écrasé dans l'océan Atlantique nord au large de la côte sud-est de l'Islande . Le pilote, le Capt Steve Nelson, a été tué lorsque son aéronef a heurté l'eau à grande vitesse après avoir échoué à effectuer en toute sécurité une manœuvre « split-S » lors d'une sortie d'entraînement à la descente à basse altitude (LASDT). L'instructeur avait planifié la manœuvre sur la base de sa propre expérience dans la formation d'élèves de l'école d'armes à Nellis AFB dans des F-15A relativement légers, cependant, le F-15C, avec des réservoirs de carburant conformes presque pleins, était beaucoup plus lourd et ne pouvait pas physiquement terminer la scission. -S malgré le démarrage de la manœuvre à 10 000'. L'avion n'a jamais été retrouvé.

2004 - OH-58D Kiowa 90-0370 de 1-82 Aviation Brigade, 1-17 Régiment de cavalerie abattu près de Fallujah, tuant un pilote.

03 janv. 2019 #1322 2019-01-03T02:24

1943 - Boeing B-17F-27-BO Flying Fortress, 41-24620, c/n 3305, "snap! crackle! pop!", 'PU-O', du 360th Bomb Squadron, 303 rd Bomb Group, à la lumière du jour raid sur Saint-Nazaire, France, perd son aile à cause de la flak, entre en spirale. Le mitrailleur de la tourelle à billes Alan Eugene Magee (13 janvier 1919 - 20 décembre 2003), bien que souffrant de 27 blessures par éclats d'obus, s'échappe (ou est jeté de l'épave) sans son parachute à

20 000 pieds (6 100 m), perd connaissance en raison de l'altitude, plonge en chute libre à travers la verrière de la gare de Saint-Nazaire et est retrouvé vivant mais grièvement blessé au sol du dépôt. Il est sauvé par les soins médicaux allemands, passe le reste de la guerre dans un camp de prisonniers. Le 3 janvier 1993, les habitants de Saint-Nazaire ont honoré Magee et l'équipage de son bombardier en leur érigeant un mémorial de 1,8 m de haut.

1944 - CDR. Frank A. Erickson, US Coast Guard, reçoit une mention élogieuse officielle après avoir piloté un hélicoptère Sikorsky HNS-1 avec deux cas de plasma sanguin attaché à ses flotteurs de New York à Sandy Hook, New Jersey, pour le traitement des membres d'équipage de l'US Navy de L'USS Turner, qui avait explosé, brûlé et coulé au large du port de New York, cette date. Dans cet acte héroïque, dans des vents violents et de la neige qui ont immobilisé tous les autres avions, Erickson est devenu le premier pilote au monde à piloter un hélicoptère dans de telles conditions et à effectuer le premier "vol de sauvetage" jamais effectué par un "hélicoptère". Sans le plasma, de nombreux survivants gravement blessés du Turner seraient morts.

1944 - Le crash du Cessna AT-17B Bobcat, 42-38897, c/n 3106, du 986th SEFTS, Douglas Army Airfield, Arizona, tue les cadets de l'aviation Loris Gale, 20 ans, de Walla Walla, Washington, et James C. Gallagher , 20 ans, de Lima, Ohio. Le bimoteur d'entraînement est descendu à trois milles au sud de la station Cochise Ranger, en Arizona, a déclaré le responsable des relations publiques de Douglas Field.

1954 - Un commando Curtiss C-46 de l'US Air Force tentant un atterrissage forcé dans le sud du Japon heurte des arbres, tuant les quatre membres d'équipage.

1954 - Un Douglas B-26C Invader s'écrase et explose dans des montagnes fortement boisées à 9 milles au nord-est de Carrizozo, au Nouveau-Mexique, après que deux membres d'équipage ont renfloué dimanche soir. Le colonel Frank E. Sharp, commandant de la Holloman AFB, Nouveau-Mexique, déclare que les hommes ont été retrouvés lundi "en bonne condition physique". Ils n'ont reçu que des ecchymoses et des égratignures mineures malgré leur saut dans l'obscurité totale au-dessus de la chaîne de montagnes accidentée de Sacramento. Ils ont été identifiés comme étant le capitaine Frederick M. Werth, Bristol, Virginie, et le S/Sgt. Willie E. Woods, de Tournesol, Mississippi. B-26C-35-DT Invader, 44-35429, est radié.

1966 - Le troisième (des cinq) Ling-Temco-Vought XC-142A, 62-5923, subit d'importants dommages au train d'atterrissage et au fuselage lors de l'atterrissage du 14e vol Cat II à la base aérienne Edwards, en Californie, n'ayant enregistré que 14h12. Temps de vol de Cat II. L'Air Force décide d'utiliser l'aile de cette cellule pour réparer le XC-142A No. 2, 62-5922, qui subit des dommages importants le 19 octobre 1965, d'autres objets utiles sont récupérés de la cellule no. 3, et le fuselage cannibalisé est mis au rebut à l'été 1966.

1989 - Oregon Air National Guard McDonnell-Douglas F-4C Phantom II, 63-7626 (?), du 123e FIS/Oregon ANG de Portland, Oregon, s'écrase lors d'une mission d'entraînement

30 miles au large de la baie de Tillamook, blessant les deux membres d'équipage, qui ont été arrachés de l'océan Pacifique, ont annoncé les autorités.

2006 - Un hélicoptère Sikorsky Aircraft UH-60 Black Hawk de l'armée américaine s'écrase près de Tal Afar, dans le gouvernorat de Ninive, en Irak. The aircraft, part of a two-Black Hawk helicopter team, was travelling between military bases when the accident occurred, resulting in 12 fatalities.

Jan 04, 2019 #1323 2019-01-04T02:16

1865 - Knickerbocker was a Union side-wheel steamer of 858 tons, built in 1843 at New York City. She was wrecked in a storm off the Southern coast of Long Island, NY., near Mastic Beach in about 9 feet of water. Several Confederate attacks resulted in the burning of the ship on February 15th, 1865.

1865 - While trying to run the Union blockade and enter Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, the 529-gross ton British screw steamer Rattlesnake was forced aground on the coast of South Carolina just east of Breach Inlet by armed schooner USS Potomska and gunboat USS Wamsutta. She was burned and abandoned.

1866 – Tug USS Narcissus ran aground 1-1/2 miles west of Egmont Key off Tampa Bay, FL., during one of the severe winter storms during a cold front moving through the area. When the cold seawater came in contact with the hot steam boiler, she exploded, killing the entire crew of 29. Federal troops from nearby Egmont Key salvaged the ship's guns, but no signs of survivors were ever found.

1944 - Boeing B-17G-10-BO Flying Fortress, 42-31257, flying in formation with other B-17s, catches fire near Alamo, Nevada, while en route between Indian Springs Army Airfield and Las Vegas Army Airfield, Nevada, and twelve of thirteen aboard bail out. One is killed when his chute fails to open in time, and one aboard the bomber dies in the crash 67 miles NNE of Las Vegas AAF. Other planes circled the spot where the plane went down and radioed the base news of the crash. "Eleven of their number were brought to the airfield hospital last night (5 January), suffering from minor injuries and exposure after having spent the intervening time in heavy snow on a high mountain plateau."

1949 - Douglas VC-47D Skytrain. 43-48405, c/n 25666/14221, crashes and burns in a night accident, coming down in mountainous terrain about eight miles NE of Colfax, California. The Placer County coroner said there are seven fatalities. The flight was believed to be between Reno and McClellan Air Force Base, California. The crash site is near the American River and highway U.S. 40.

1954 - A US Navy P2V-5 Neptune (BuNo 127752) of VP-2 departed NAS Iwakuni in Japan and headed toward the west coast of Korea. The flight continued north across the Korean DMZ, then along the North Korean coast to the coast of China before turning south. After reporting engine difficulties, the aircraft head towards the K-13 base at Suwan. The engine difficulties might have been a result of a hostile attack on the Neptune. The aircraft reached the vicinity of K-13 before crashing, possibly the result of an additional attack by a US Navy AD-4B Skyraider on night patrol. The crew of Jesse Beasley, Fredric Prael, Rex Claussen, Gordon Spicklemier, Lloyd Rensink, Bruce Berger, James Hand, Robert Archbold, Stanley Mulford and Paul Morelli were all killed.

1959 - Single-engine de Havilland Canada UC-1A Otter cargo aircraft, BuNo 144673, c/n 163, from VX-6, participating in Operation Deep Freeze IV, crashed during takeoff at Marble Point, Antarctica, about 50 miles from McMurdo Station. "As the aircraft departed the Marble Point runway it made a very steep left turn and the left wing hit a small knoll. The aircraft cart-wheeled and crashed." Lieutenant Harvey E. Gardner and Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Lawrence J. Farrell died. Joe Baugher lists crash date as 1 April 1959.

1960 - Three United States Army de Havilland Canada U-1A Otters, of the 329th Engineer Detachment, fly from Wheelus Air Base to Bengazi, Libya, but 55-2974 disappears over the Gulf of Sirte in the Mediterranean in a storm. Aircraft never found. Search suspended 8 January at 2030 hrs. One crew and nine passengers presumed dead. Lost are:
1st Lt. Walter Jefferson, Jr., pilot of the aircraft, Tulsa, OK.
2d Lt. Graydon W. Goss, Franklinville, NY.
Pfc Albert L. Callais, Plaquemine, LA.
Sp5 Donnald R. Fletcher, Salinas, CA.
Sp4 Henry Harvey, Bradenton, FL.
Sp4 George W. Hightower, Waskum, TX.
Pfc Stephen T. Novak, Massena, NY
Sp4 William C. Riley, North Adams, MA.
Sfc Kenneth E. Spaulding, The Bronx, NY.
Pfc Henry J. Weyer, Jr., Chicago., IL.

1961 - During Minimum Interval Takeoff (MITO) from Pease AFB, New Hampshire, Boeing B-47E Stratojet, 53-4244, of the 100th Bomb Wing, number 2 in a three-ship cell, loses control, crashes into trees, burns. Killed are aircraft commander, Capt. Thomas C. Weller, co-pilot 1st Lt. Ronald Chapo, navigator 1st Lt. J. A. Wether, and crew chief S/Sgt. Stephen J. Merva.

1964 - USAF Martin NRB-57D Canberra, 53-3973, of the Wright Air Development Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, suffers structural failure of both wings at 50,000 feet (15240 m), comes down in schoolyard at Dayton, Ohio, crew bails out. The U.S. Air Force subsequently grounds all W/RB-57D aircraft.

1989 - US Navy F-14A Tomcats, of VF-32, flown by Joseph Connelly (RIO Leo Enwright) and Hermon Cook (RIO Steven Collins), flying from the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), each shot down a Libyan MiG-23 Flogger over the Gulf of Sidra.

1989 - A female U.S. Navy airman of VA-42, was struck and killed by a Grumman A-6 Intruder being towed from a hangar at NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, Virginia. The airman, whose name was withheld pending notification of family, was walking beside a wing of the attack bomber as it was being towed by a small tractor from the hangar to the flight-line, a Navy spokesman said.

Jan 05, 2019 #1324 2019-01-05T01:36

1949 - As five U.S. Navy Grumman F8F Bearcats make firing runs on a gunnery target sleeve towed by another aircraft, two fighters collide at 7,000 feet and plunge into the Pacific Ocean off San Francisco. Both pilots, Ens. Peter J. McHugh, of Alameda, and Lt. William R. Cecil, of Oakland, are feared lost.

1949 - A Douglas AD Skyraider, expected to return to NAS Alameda at 1150 hrs. after a routine two-hour flight, is declared missing shortly before 1400 hrs. when its fuel would be exhausted.

1949 – Test pilot Chuck Yeager performed the only ground take-off in a Bell X-1. With 50% fuel, he reached 23,000 feet (7,010 meters) and Mach 1.03.

1950 - A Boeing B-50A Superfortress, 46-021, c/n 15741 of the 3200th Proof Test Group out of Eglin AFB, crash lands in the Choctawhatchee Bay, northwest Florida, killing two of the 11 crew. Nine escape from the downed aircraft following the forced landing. The airframe settles in eight to ten feet of mud at a depth of 38 feet (12 m). Divers recover the body of flight engineer M/Sgt. Claude Dorman, 27, of Kingston, New Hampshire, from the nose of the bomber on Monday, 8 January. The body of S/Sgt. William Thomas Bell, 21, aerial photographer, who lived in Mayo, Florida, is recovered on Tuesday, 9 January, outside the plane from beneath the tail. The Eglin base public information officer identified the surviving crew as 1st Lt. Park R. Bidwell, instructor pilot 1st Lt. Vere Short, pilot 1st Lt. James S. Wigg, co-pilot Maj. William C. McLaughlin, bombardier and S/Sgt. Clifford J. Gallipo, M/Sgt. Alton Howard, M/Sgt. William J. Almand, T/Sgt. Samuel G. Broke, and Cpl. William F. Fitzpatrick, crewmen.

1955 - Two Boeing B-47E Stratojets of the 44th Bomb Wing from Lake Charles AFB, Louisiana, collide over the Gulf of Mexico during refuelling Wednesday night, causing one to crash and the other to limp home to base with damage, sans its observer who bailed out over the Gulf. Air-sea rescue teams began a search of the Gulf in an area some 30 miles SE of Cameron, Louisiana, on the Gulf coast. B-47E-5-DT, 52-029, is lost with all three crew. Observer who bailed out is never found. The pilot of the recovered bomber stated that the lost plane apparently smashed down on his aircraft from above, "leaving wheel tracks on the cabin before it spun off to crash in Gulf waters. Capt. Morris E. Shiver, 29, of Albany, Ga., said 'we never knew what hit us' as the two six-jet bombers crashed together Wednesday night about 30 miles southeast of Cameron, La. An armada of planes and ships searched Thursday for the four airmen missing after the crash. Three of them were aboard the B47 which plunged into the Gulf, while the fourth, 1st Lt. Matthew Gemery, of Lakewood, Ohio, an observer, could have returned on his limping plane had he waited another minute before ejecting himself. They identified Maj. Sterling T. Carroll, 33, of Port Arthur, Tex., as the commander of the plane that returned, and Shiver as the pilot. The other three missing airmen were Maj. Jean S. Pierson, of Danville, Ind., aircraft commander Capt. David O. Crump, of Albermarle, N.C. [sic], copilot, and father of six children, and 1st Lt. Rodney P. Egelston of Levelland, Tex., observer-bombardier."

1956 - Sole Piasecki YH-16A Turbo Transporter helicopter prototype, 50-1270, breaks up in flight at

1555 hrs. and crashes near Swedesboro, New Jersey, near the Delaware River, while returning to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from a test flight over New Jersey. The cause of the crash was later determined to be the aft slip ring, which carried flight data from the instrumented rotor blades to the data recorders in the cabin. The slip ring bearings seized, and the resultant torque load severed the instrumentation standpipe inside the aft rotor shaft. A segment of this steel standpipe tilted over and came into contact with the interior of the aluminum rotor shaft, scribing a deepening groove into it. The rotor shaft eventually failed in flight, which in turn led to the aft blades and forward blades desynchronizing and colliding. The aircraft was a total loss, the two test pilots, Harold Peterson and George Callaghan, were killed. This led to the cancellation not only of the YH-16, but also the planned sixty-nine-passenger YH-16B version.

1962 - Three crew killed in crash of U.S. Air Force Boeing B-47E Stratojet, AF Ser. No. 52-0615, of the 22d Bomb Wing, at March AFB, California. This would be the last fatal crash at that base until 19 October 1978. Pilot was Major Clarence Weldon Garrett.

1967 - Lockheed A-12, 60–6928, Article 125, lost during training/test flight. CIA pilot Walter Ray successfully ejects but is killed upon impact with terrain due to failed seat-separation sequence. The Air Force-issue seatbelt failed to release properly. The aircraft had run out of fuel for a variety of reasons.

1967 - Martin MGM-13 Mace, launched from Site A-15, Santa Rosa Island, Hurlburt Field, Florida, by the 4751st Air Defense Missile Squadron at

1021 hrs., fails to circle over Gulf of Mexico for test mission with two Eglin AFB McDonnell F-4 Phantom IIs, but heads south for Cuba. Third F-4 overtakes it, fires two test AAMs with limited success, then damages unarmed drone with cannon fire. Mace overflies western tip of Cuba before crashing in Caribbean 100 miles south of the island. International incident narrowly avoided. To forestall the possibility, the United States State Department asks the Swiss Ambassador in Havana to explain the circumstances of the wayward drone to the Cuban government. The Mace had been equipped with an "improved guidance system known as 'ASTRAN' which is considered unjammable." (This was apparently a typo for ATRAN – Automatic Terrain Recognition And Navigation terrain-matching radar navigation.)

1999 - A group of four Iraqi MiG-25s crossed the no-fly zones over Iraq and sparked a dogfight with two patrolling F-15Cs and two patrolling F-14Ds. A total of six missiles were fired at the MiGs, none of which hit. The MiGs then bugged out.

2011 – Former USS Kittiwake (ASR-13) was sunk as a reef off Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, in Marine Park.

Jan 07, 2019 #1325 2019-01-07T13:00

FY3wvwsZ0wT4IqpFOdq4sZhYV-3vYdlWvQuirux-xLKec7JJVCzqJP-kaDLUe-iWTbdWDICs6Dq9woKWQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA" />

Jan 17, 2019 #1326 2019-01-17T01:00

1865 - Confederate forces scuttled the screw transport Cape Fear and the steamer Pelteway in the Cape Fear River near Smithfield, North Carolina, to prevent their capture by Union forces.

1865 - The Union steamer Chippewa grounded on the south shore of the Arkansas River at Ivey's Ford, 14 miles (22.5 km) above Clarksville, Arkansas. Confederate forces captured her and her crew and passengers, removed her cargo, and burned the ship.

1955 - U.S. Navy Lockheed C-121J Super Constellation, BuNo 131639, c/n 4140, departs Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, at 0422 hrs. for a "routine transport flight" to its home-station, NAS Patuxent River, Maryland. At 0500, while over Prince Edward Island, two engines fail. The flight attempts to return to Harmon and a Boeing B-29 is dispatched to escort the crippled C-121, rendezvousing with it at 0504 over Cabot Strait, between Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Twelve minutes later, the Constellation shut off its lights and other electrical equipment to facilitate the dumping of excess fuel. Within minutes the bomber lost radar contact with the transport and it vanished.
The Constellation went into a stormy sea amidst clouds and fog. The B-29 circled the area and finally spotted five life rafts and life jackets amidst wreckage at 0645 hrs., but no survivors. The six crew and seven passengers, twelve men and one woman, were lost. The plane's pilot was identified as Lt. Cdr. L. R. Fullmer, Jr., of Little Rock, Arkansas. The woman aboard was identified as Seaman Jeanette W. Elmer, 22, of Syracuse, New York.

1957 - During the second bomber stream of training mission, "WEDDING BRAVO", by 30 Convair B-36 Peacemaker bombers of the 7 th Bomb Wing, out of Carswell AFB, Texas, a jet engine explosion results in one B-36 landing at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, on fire. There was no further damage to the aircraft and no injuries to the crew, commanded by Capt. Robert L. Lewis.

1957 - A Boeing WB-50D Superfortress, 48-093, c/n 15902, (built as B-50D-95-BO) of the 58th Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, fully loaded with fuel for a 3,700-mile weather reconnaissance flight, crashes two minutes after a pre-dawn takeoff from Eielson AFB, Alaska, with the wreckage and fuel burning in an inferno 200 yards long and 50 yards wide on the flat land three miles N of the base. All twelve crew are killed.

1957 - "HONOLULU (UP) – A Navy pilot, Lt. (JG) Kenneth R. West Jr., 24, of Burlingame, Calif., was killed when his FJ-3 Fury crashed in the ocean shortly after takeoff from Kaneohe Air Station."

1957 - The crash of Martin B-57E-MA Canberra, 55-4283, c/n 385, at Biggs AFB, Texas, kills two and injures a third. Killed are 1st Lt. Russell E. Hanson, 24, Cudahy, Wisconsin, and 1st Lt. Thomas H. Higgins, 24, Walled Lake, Michigan.

1966 - A Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, 58-0256, of the 68th Bomb Wing out of Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina, collides with a KC-135A-BN Stratotanker, 61-0273, c/n 18180, flying boom during aerial refueling near Palomares, Almería in the 1966 Palomares B-52 crash, breaking bomber's back. Seven crew members are killed in the crash, two eject safely, and two of the B-52's Mark 28 nuclear bombs rupture, scattering radioactive material over the countryside. One bomb lands intact near the town, and another is lost at sea. It is later recovered intact 5 miles (8 km) offshore in deep trench. Two of the recovered weapons are exhibited at the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, Albuquerque, New Mexico.

1966 - Two crew of a Republic F-105F Thunderchief based at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, escape injury when the engine of the fighter-bomber in which they are engaged in a photo-chase mission catches fire, forcing them to eject. The airframe impacts in East Bay, near Tyndall AFB, Florida at 1008 hrs. Pilot Capt. James D. Clendenen and photographer S/Sgt. J. G. Cain are recovered from the water by a Tyndall base helicopter.

1966 - A Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star on a night mission crashes and burns in a wooded area 11 miles NW of Eglin AFB, killing both crew members. According to the base information officer, the wreckage was in a densely wooded area which made the approach of rescue vehicles difficult. Killed while flying (KWF) were Capt. Robert D. Freeman, 30, of Lindsey, Oklahoma, and 2nd Lt. Roger A. Carr, 26, of Ames, Iowa. Both were residents of Fort Walton Beach, Florida and were assigned to the Air Proving Ground Center.

1993 - A USAF F-16C shoots down a MiG-23 when the MiG locks up the F-16.

1993 – Two IRAF Su-22 "Fitters" open fire on two USAF F-16s in protest of the no-fly zones. No aircraft are damaged in the encounter.

2003 - A US Marine Corps McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18D Hornet crashes into the Pacific Ocean off of MCAS Miramar, California, due to a material failure during a functional check flight with one engine shut down. Both crew eject safely and are recovered.

2013 - USS Guardian (MCM-5) ran hard aground upon the Tubbatabha Reef in the Sulu Sea. The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) admitted that the coastal scale Digital Nautical Chart (DNC) supplied to Guardian was flawed due to human error on the part of the NGA. This was an error that mislocated the Tubbataha Reef by 7.8 nautical miles east-southeast of its actual location. NGA was aware of this error in 2011 and updated a smaller scale electronic chart. NGA failed to publish a correction for the larger scale chart the ship was using when she ran aground.

Jan 18, 2019 #1327 2019-01-18T21:49

1871 - Wilhelm I is declare Emperor of Germany in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles - outside Paris.
1919 - The Paris Peace Conference opens - at Versailles.
2019 - HRH the Duke of Edinburgh is given the OK following an accident involving his Range Rover being T-Bones and flipped.

Jan 24, 2019 #1328 2019-01-24T03:02

1862 - Two Confederate blockade runners carrying cargoes of cotton, schooner Julia, and an unidentified bark, were forced to run themselves aground on the coast of Louisiana near the mouth of the Mississippi River by the screw steamer USS Mercedita and other pursuing ships of the Gulf Blockading Squadron. The vessels were then burned to prevent them from falling back into Confederate hands.

1862 – USS Peri, earmarked for scuttling as a blockship in Maffit's Channel in Charleston Harbor off Charleston, South Carolina, as part of the "Stone Fleet," was blown out to sea by a gale, where she drifted for three days before disappearing.

1865 – During the Battle of Trent’s Reach, torpedo boat CSS Scorpion was run aground on the James River in Virginia and abandoned. A United States Navy launch crew captured and refloated her on 27 January.

1870 - USS Oneida was a Mohican class wooden screw sloop and sister to the more famous USS Kearsarge. Commissioned in 1862, Oneida served effectively during the American Civil War, taking part in several shore bombardments and destroying two confederate ships. She was decommissioned at the end of the war.
Recommissioned in 1867, she was attached to the Asiatic Squadron. At 5:15 PM this date, USS Oneida departed Yokahama en route to Hong Kong under the command of Commander Edward P. Williams. At 6:30 PM, as the ship passed Saratoga Spit near the entrance to Tokyo Bay, the P&O Steamship Bombay struck her starboard side near the main and mizzen masts and shattered Oneida's starboard quarter. She sank in about fifteen minutes in 37 meters of water, taking 125 crew with her, including Captain Williams.

1936 - Keystone B-4A, 32-118, of the 23d Bomb Squadron, flown by Charles E. Fisher, and B-4A, 32-132, of the 72d Bomb Squadron, piloted by William G. Beard, both assigned to the 19th Bomb Group, collide 1,200 feet over Luke Field, Ford Island, Oahu, H. I., killing six of eight crew aboard the two bombers, described at the time as "the worst air accident in Hawaiian aviation history." Private Thomas E. Lanigan, Air Corps, and 2d Lieutenant Charles E. Fisher, Air Corps Reserve, become Caterpillar Club members 763 and 764, respectively, when they take to their parachutes.

1952 - Grumman SA-16A Albatross, 51-001, c/n G-74, of the 580th Air Resupply Squadron (a Central Intelligence Agency air unit of the Air Resupply and Communications Service), on cross-country flight from Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, to San Diego, California, suffers failure of port engine over Death Valley, crew of six successfully bails out at

1830 hrs. with no injuries, walks S some 14 miles to Furnace Creek, California where they are picked up the following day by an SA-16 from the 42d Air Rescue Squadron, March AFB, California. The abandoned SA-16 crashes into Towne Summit mountain ridge of the Panamint Range W of Stovepipe Wells with starboard engine still running. Wreckage is still there.

1957 - Two Boeing B-47B Stratojets of the 19th Bomb Wing, Homestead AFB, Florida, have mid-air near the Isle of Pines, Cuba, during refueling operations. B-47B-50-BWs, 51-2332, and -2352, collided during an early night operation.

1958 - "FUCHU, Japan (AP) – Three U.S. Air Force F-84G Thunderjets crashed into the sea tonight after takeoff from Iwakuni Air Base, western Japan. The bodies of the three pilots, whose names were withheld, had not been located five hours later, the Air Force said. The planes, from the 418th Fighter Training Squadron, Misawa Air Base, were on a training flight. 'Engines of all three aircraft appeared to flame out almost simultaneously on takeoff. The planes hit the water about 1,000 feet from the end of the runway,' the Air Force said." According to Joe Baugher, F-84G-20-RE, 51-1237, had a mid-air collision with flight mates F-84G-25-RE, 51–1300 and F-84G-25-RE, 51-1312, during the takeoff sequence.

1958 - A U.S. Navy Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind, BuNo 128446, "Indian Ocean Tradewind", assigned to VR-2, claims a new Honolulu-Alameda speed record for seaplanes, despite the loss of one engine en route. The Navy said that the Tradewind's 5 hours and 54 minutes bettered an old record for a seaplane, also set by a Tradewind, at 6 hours and 54 minutes. After departing from Keehi Lagoon, Hawaii, the Tradewind suffered the loss of the number one propeller (port outer) when it tore loose about 350 miles from the mainland, slashing a six- to eight-foot hole in the hull below the waterline, and damaging electrical control lines. None of the 17 on board were injured, either, when the R3Y slammed into the breakwater after landing in San Francisco Bay, California, due to a runaway turboprop engine that would not respond to control inputs due to the electrical system damage from the propeller strike. Le lieutenant Cdr. Homer C. Ragsdale was the pilot on this flight. The Navy announces on 30 January that all three R3Y Tradewinds will remain grounded until a five-man accident board can determine what caused the crash of a fourth when it struck a seawall at Naval Air Station Alameda, California, after also losing a propeller in flight. Ultimately, this was the last straw for the troubled P5Y and R3Y program. Four of the design had crashed, including one of two XP5Y-1 prototypes, all attributed to on-going issues with the problematic Allison T-40 turboprop powerplants and their associated gearboxes. The Navy abandoned further interest in the engine and all aircraft using it. VR-2 was disestablished 16 April 1958, and all P5Y and R3Y airframes broken up.

1961 - A U.S. Air Force Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, 58-0187, (the last Block 95 airframe), Keep 19, of the 4241st Strategic Wing, 822d Air Division, Eighth Air Force, on Coverall airborne alert suffers structural failure, fuel leak, of starboard wing over Goldsboro, North Carolina, wing fails when flaps are engaged during emergency approach to Seymour Johnson AFB, two weapons on board break loose during airframe disintegration, one parachutes safely to ground, second impacts on marshy farm land, breaks apart, sinks into quagmire. Air Force excavates fifty feet down, finds no trace of bomb, forcing permanent digging easement on site. According to the Wikipedia article pertaining to this incident, parts of the weapon WERE recovered. The tail was found at 22 feet down, along with the plutonium core as well as other fragments. The project is abandoned before the entire uranium mass could be recovered, due to uncontrollable ground-water flooding. The USAF purchased the land, to safeguard the in situ remains. Five of eight crew survive.

1963 - USAF Boeing B-52C Stratofortress, 53-0406, of the 99th Bombardment Wing, out of Westover AFB, Massachusetts on a low-level flight training mission, commanded by Col. Dante Bulli, 40, of Cherry, Illinois, hits turbulence while flying

100 ft. above the ground as it approached Elephant Mountain near Greenville, Maine, loses vertical fin. Conditions were reported as air speed of 280 knots, outside temperature 14 degrees below zero, with the winds gusting to 40 knots. As the bomber went out of control, the pilot ordered ejection. Only three crew got out: Bulli and Capt. Gerald Adler, 31, of Houston, Texas, survived, though Adler was badly injured. The copilot, Major Robert J. Morrison was killed when he hit a tree while parachuting to the ground. Lt. Col. Joe R. Simpson, Jr, Maj. William W. Gabriel, Maj. Robert J. Hill, Capt. Herbert L. Hansen, Capt. Charles G. Leuchter, and TSgt. Michael F. O'Keefe did not have time to eject and perished. A Douglas C-54 Skymaster from Goose Bay, Labrador drops a team of paramedics to aid the two survivors, who are then transported by helicopter to Dow Air Force Base, Bangor, Maine, where they are pronounced to be in "good condition."

1964 - A US Air Force T-39 Sabreliner, based in Weisbaden West Germany, was shot down by a Soviet fighter over Thuringia, about 60 miles inside East Germany while on a training flight. The crew of three, Gerald Hannaford, John Lorraine and Donald Millard were killed.

1991 - LTV A-7E Corsair II, BuNo 158830, 'AC 403', of VA-72 has the dubious distinction of being the last of the type in US Navy service to need a barricade landing aboard a carrier when the nose gear was damaged on catapult launch from USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), at start of mission 12.41 against a target in western Iraq, losing one tire. Pilot, Lt. Tom Dostie, succeeds in hooking 1-wire and aircraft snags safely in barricade. Since the A-7 type was about to be retired, airframe is stripped for parts and buried at sea 25 January with full military honors, but refuses to sink until strafed by air wing jets. This disposition is in question, however. Joe Baugher states that there is an A-7 marked as 158830 preserved in Museo dell'Aviazione near Rimini, Italy. It was reported as damaged during Desert Storm and was left at Sigonella, Italy.


Quoi Lansing les dossiers de famille trouverez-vous?

There are 30,000 census records available for the last name Lansing. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Lansing census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 2,000 immigration records available for the last name Lansing. Les listes de passagers vous permettent de savoir quand vos ancêtres sont arrivés aux États-Unis et comment ils ont effectué le voyage - du nom du navire aux ports d'arrivée et de départ.

There are 8,000 military records available for the last name Lansing. For the veterans among your Lansing ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.

There are 30,000 census records available for the last name Lansing. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Lansing census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 2,000 immigration records available for the last name Lansing. Les listes de passagers vous permettent de savoir quand vos ancêtres sont arrivés aux États-Unis et comment ils ont effectué le voyage - du nom du navire aux ports d'arrivée et de départ.

There are 8,000 military records available for the last name Lansing. For the veterans among your Lansing ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.


Industry and Education Join Government

Automotive innovator Ransom E. Olds, who used gasoline power instead of steam, founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897. Olds is credited with building the first practical automobile, and by the turn of the century his company was the world's largest car manufacturer and had earned a reputation for high quality. Olds's company lived on as the Oldsmobile Division of General Motors until its discontinuation in 2004. By 1904 Lansing was the base of more than 200 manufacturing businesses and a world leader in the production of agricultural implements, automobiles, and gasoline engines.

Farmers had created the Michigan Agricultural Society in 1850 as a means to be heard in the state legislature. Many of the settlers from the East placed high value on education and culture they petitioned the state legislature through the Agricultural Society for a college of agriculture to be founded separately from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The nation's oldest land-grant institution, created as part of Michigan's state constitution of 1850, was thus granted authorization in 1855. The Michigan Agricultural College was founded on 676 acres in the woods three miles east of Lansing in present-day East Lansing, which was granted a city charter in 1907. The name of the college was changed to Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences in 1923, and became a university upon its centennial celebration in 1955. Finally, in 1964, the name was shortened to Michigan State University.

Today, Lansing is a community where government, industry, education, and culture thrive. Although the city itself has witnessed a population decrease of 6.4 percent, the metropolitan area has increased by 3.5 percent. Residents enjoy the area for its economic stability and variety of activities. The business climate is active and was recognized by Entrepreneur magazine in 2003 as number seven on its list of ⊾st Cities for Entrepreneurs: Top Midsize Cities in the Midwest." The nearby residence of Michigan State University fosters an academia-minded atmosphere that contributed to the area's seventh place ranking in Richard Florida's bestselling book "Rise of the Creative Class" in 2002 as one of the "Top Ten Most Creative Small Cities."

Information historique: Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48909-7507 telephone (517)373-1580 fax (517)373-4480


USS Slater Signal


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"

Nov 28, 2017 #2 2017-11-29T04:17

Nov 29, 2017 #3 2017-11-29T17:30

"Give Me A Fast Ship For I Intend To Go In Harm's Way"


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"

Nov 29, 2017 #4 2017-11-29T20:01

Nov 29, 2017 #5 2017-11-29T22:44

History of the USS Slater
http://usssanfrancisco.org/Ship%20Photos/slater_w.jpg[/img]The Slater is a Cannon Class Destroyer Escort. Of the 565 destroyer escorts produced in World War II, USS SLATER (DE-766) is the only one remaining afloat in the United States, and the only one with original battle armament and configuration. These trim but deadly warships had the duty of looking out for enemy submarines and kamikazes as they escorted ship convoys across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Visitors have a chance to see what life was like for the sailors who manned these vessels when they come aboard this Cannon Class destroyer escort in Albany, N.Y.

The USS Slater is named for FRANK O. SLATER of Alabama, a sailor killed aboard the USS San Francisco during the Battle of Guadalcanal in 1942. See link for more information.

On Sunday 26 October 97, Mayor Jerry Jennings was presented with Slater's Navy Cross and Purple Heart. DEHF has asked the Mayor to hold the decorations until they can be safely displayed aboard the Slater.

The Destroyer Escorts were named for Naval heroes, particularly those from early in World War II.

The USS Slater was "laid down" 9 March 1943, lauched 13 February 1944 and Commissioned 1 May 1944. See CONSTRUCTION, LAUNCHING, and COMMISSIONING, for more information and pictures.

After a shakedown cruise near Bermuda in June 1944, SLATER headed for Key West where she served as a target ship (see account of duty) and as a sonar school ship. In the latter part of 1944, the ship escorted two convoys to England. SLATER continued her Atlantic convoy duty from January through May 1945 when she escorted three convoys to Wales.

After returning to New York, SLATER headed for the Pacific, stopping at Guantanamo Bay and Panama. She went through the canal on June 28 and stopped at San Diego before sailing to Pearl Harbor. From there, she joined Task Unit 33.2.4 at Manila in September and escorted it to Yokohama. Through the remainder of the year, she escorted convoys to Manila, Japan, Biak, N.E.I. and the Caroline Islands. SLATER operated from the Philippines during January 1946 and then sailed to San Pedro, California.

SLATER made another pass through the Panama Canal on her way to Norfolk for inactivation. She sailed to Green Cove Springs, Florida in April 1946 and was then transferred to Charleston in February 1947. The Navy placed her in reserve, out of commission, in Green Cove Springs in May 1947. See LOG OF THE USS SLATER for complete war record and pictures.

On March 1, 1951, SLATER was transferred to the Hellenic Navy under the Truman Doctrine. Renamed Aetos-01, the ship served as a Hellenic Navy Officer Training Vessel until 1991 when Greece donated the ship to the Destroyer Escort Sailors Association . The ship had also been used in a number of movies including "The Guns of Navarone" .

Destroyer escort sailors from around the nation donated $275,000 to bring the ship back to the United States. A Russian tugboat brought the vessel back to New York City from Crete on August 27, 1993 where it was docked next to INTREPID. Volunteers the began restoring the ship to her World War II configuration.

DEHF was seeking a permanent home for the ship and sought assistance from DMNA in so doing. The Division of Military and Naval Affairs, Military History Branch coordinated the initial meetings between DEHF and the City of Albany. In July 1997 the DEHF and the City of Albany signed letters of intent to have the ship permanently located in Albany, NY, on the Hudson River. SLATER sailed up the Hudson to New York's capital and on Sunday 26 October 1997 the USS Slater arrived at the Port of Albany. See RECENT HISTORY of the USS Slater, with pictures. Was the Aetos the USS Slater ? and is the ship in Albany actually the Slater ? See the interesting first person account in Yard Birds Save Buns

The Destroyer Escort Historical Museum hired historic ship expert Tim Rizzuto, formerly of the USS KIDD in Baton Rouge, to lead SLATER's restoration. Assisted by education and tour coordinator, Nancy Buxton, Rizzuto has recruited and organized teams of volunteers to complete the ship's restoration. Professionals donate their time to bring about the ship's transformation. For example, the electrical team worked for months in the dark in freezing temperatures with only flashlights to guide them in order to restore electrical power to the ship. Engineers meet on Saturdays to work on the ship's General Motors diesel engine. Maintenance crews gather to chip paint, paint, clean, and remove layers of tile to restore the ship's spaces.

Tour guides, many of them Navy veterans, lead visitors through the ship to help them gain a sense of how the 216-man crew functioned. Others actively promote the ship and seek funding to fuel the restoration. The collections team catalogs the hundreds of artifacts, photos, documents and personal papers donated to the museum, which will be the center for destroyer escort-related history. On March 20th the SLATER was officially listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places. Listing on the National Register was formally presented on Veteran's Day 11 November 1998. See Slater Signals index for monthly news on progress in the restoration of this ship.

The USS Slater is owned by the Destroyer Escort Historical Museum (DEHM) , a 501 (c) 3 organization.

The ship is not owned by the US Navy and therefore is not subject to recall to active service in the event of war.

The DEHM supports the USS Slater and three Naval Museums with financial contributions and programs such as assistance with renovations, development of a strong tourism base and national media exposure.

On December 7, 1941 the naval and air forces of the Japanese Empire launched a surprise attack on the U.S. Navy's pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. More than 2,000 soldiers and sailors lost their lives and 13 ships were sunk. One ship, the USS Oklahoma, capsized and sunk. Aboard the USS Oklahoma was US Navy Ensign Charles M. Stern, Jr. of Albany. Commissioned an Ensign in the US Navy Reserve in August of 1940, Ensign Stern was killed in the sneak attack.

For his efforts during the attack on Pearl Harbor, a Cannon Class Destroyer Escort (same class as the USS Slater) was named for Ensign Stern, the USS Stern - DE 187 .

Local Connections Other Than Albany

The following ships, all Destroyer Escorts were named for locally born naval hereos in the early days of WW II:

USS Herzog - DE 178 was named for Troy, NY native William Ralph Herzog, born 29 December 1909. This was also Cannon Class.

USS Frament - DE 677 was named for Paul Stanley Frament born 17 August 1919 in Cohoes, NY.

USS Haines - DE 792 was named for Richard Alexander Haines born 28 April 1903 at Haines Falls, NY.

"Give Me A Fast Ship For I Intend To Go In Harm's Way"


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"


History of the Lansing River Trail

Lansing’s Urban River became the prime focus of civic leaders in the 1960’s. By the early 1970’s a specific Waterfront Master Plan and been prepared, which established the first formal policy for the continued acquisition and redevelopment of targeted central city properties.

Implementation of the Waterfront Plan began with acquisition of deteriorated industrial and warehouse properties along the riverbank. Purchased at a cost of $2,000,000, twenty-seven parcels within the central city had been transformed, by 1976, into Riverfront Park.

The key feature of the park is the 2 ½ mile continuous Riverfront Trail which interconnects all river-oriented features in the central city.

The first section of RiverTrail opened in 1975.

In 1981 the Riverwalk received the esteemed designation as a National Recreation Trail by the United States Department of the Interior, which referred to it as “….a unique central city trail along a Waterfront….”

The longest extension took place in 1983. This one-half mile section was built on an overgrown riverbank railroad bed and was, at that time, the southern-most reach of the River Trail.

1985 construction switched the route to the Red Cedar River where it was incorporated into the new Potter Park and Zoo Master Plan. From here, the pathway continued the final 1 ½ miles to the MSU Campus in East Lansing.

In 2004 the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council (Mid MEAC) received a grant from the DALMAC Bike Tour to assess the use and users of the Lansing River Trail. The survey was conducted from July 17 through September 16, 2004.

Observation points for this survey were Clipper Street, Aurelius Road, Pennsylvania Avenue, River Point Park (western spur), Impression 5 and Turner-Dodge. During the study period, 495 surveys were distributed, with 354 (72%) completed and returned. Those not responding were most likely to cite a lack of time, training and couldn’t stop or already completing a survey and not wanting to do a second.

Observation highlights showed the LRT had 72,040 estimated uses May 1 through September 30, 2004, with 64% on weekdays and 36% on weekends. Adults (18 and over) accounted for 86% of the uses and children for 14%. Of the adult uses, 49% were bicycling, 46% were walking/running and 5% were inline skating. For children, 62% were bicycling, 34% were walking/running and 4% were inline skating.

Use highlights from the surveys showed most (65%) LRT uses were by Lansing residents, with 15% by East Lansing residents and 29% from elsewhere. For adults, males accounted for 57% of the uses and females for 43%. One-third (33%) of the adult uses were by people who were 50 and over, 39% were by those 35 to 49 and 28% were by those 18 to 34. More than half (55%) of LRT use was done without driving a vehicle to it. Approximately half (48%) of the uses were by people that lived two miles or less from the trail. Eighty-four percent of uses were for two hours or less and 93% were rated as satisfactory experiences.

Distinct user highlights provided on an average, distinct visitors used the LRT 10 time per year and 5% were disabled.

Slightly more than half (54%) of LRT uses were by those who did not drive a vehicle to reach the trail. While more than half (60%) lived three miles or less from the trail, many who work in Lansing or East Lansing and commute used the trail during the work day.


Voir la vidéo: ALEXANDRIE, La Cité du Savoir (Décembre 2021).